Develop UK were successful in competitive tender to secure the structural alterations package at 7-8 St. Martins Place on behalf of Willmott Dixon Interiors, where a new hotel was to be created. Develop UK provided an integrated solution to take on multiple facets of the package where extensive coordination was required to achieve the desired product. Our scope of works saw us undertake:
• Soft Strip to Common Areas
• Demolition to Existing Roof Plant Structures and removal of finishes
• Construction of a new 2 storey steel roof extension
• Composite slab installation to new floor levels
• Extension of existing lift cores and overruns to service new floor levels
• Installation of 5nr steel staircases throughout
• New below ground drainage
• New reinforced concrete basement slab
• Cavity drain system
• New reinforced concrete lift pit and steel lift shaft (Basement to roof)
• Miscellaneous steel installations.
Typical of all central London projects the site was hampered by restricted access with only a small holding area. With our works requiring extensive craneage to install the new roof structure coordination with the main contractor was key to ensure that road closures were booked sufficiently in advance to allow both mobile cranes and concrete pumps to service the works.
As with any structural alterations scheme, there is an element of discovery as the existing structure is uncovered. Develop provide a pro-active approach to overcoming design issues and took part in many design meetings to ensure the programme was not sacrificed as a consequence of change.